Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Get Your Swimsuit Shape Started This Spring

Those holiday dinners have left their mark…around my waist, hips and thighs. The first flowers of spring tell me that beach season is on the horizon and I need to start planning. I break spring into two phases. The first phase begins with working on my diet. I need to clean up my calories…which is a good thing anytime of the year. So now is the time to begin eliminating those indulgent desserts, cookies at break time, and soda consumption. But I negotiate with myself. I create a list of the most calorie dense items that are not good for me…the cookies, sugary sodas, fancy coffees that really pack a caloric punch. Then I reduce it to just one a day. I can still have them….but in moderation. If I need a chocolate fix, I’ll give in, but save half that candy bar for tomorrow. Suddenly, it’s a reward to get a treat and they actually taste better! Second phase: I gotta get this body in gear. Taking a few flights of stairs gives me time to think and I feel the steps tightening the gluts. At home I set the kitchen timer for 5 minutes of walking. As I cruise, I pickup clutter and put it away. Wow, now I’m getting multiple benefits, I’m looking better and clutter is vanquished! If I watch a sports show, I gotta set the exercise bike for 15 minutes while I cheer my team. I also use my MP3 player with a downloaded routine so I’m moving while I watch my show, again double duty in a given time period. I’ve got several workout ideas to fit my spare time no matter the weather! Soon I’ll be ready to shop for that swimsuit and then the fun really begins! Robin Miles

No comments: